Hi Darren,

Darren Cook: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> I have a question.  Why do you all call the game as "human vs.
>> computer"?  It's obviously a match between Kim 8p and MoGo, a program
>> developped by MoGo team, running on a supercomputer.
>
>Quick answer: it is the established term. ("human-machine" is perhaps
>even more common?)

Sure, it's the same here in Japan.

>Longer answer: Mogo is on its own choosing moves; the programmers cannot
>help it while it is playing. Similarly the human player is on his own
>and not allowed to discuss positions with his teachers, students, go
>books, etc.

It does not change the fact MoGo was developped by the programmers.
And the fact the programmers spent many resources, like the people
fighting at Beijing right now, to develop MoGo.

>(BTW, just about everybody here has congratulated the "Mogo team" not
>Mogo. But the human side is the same: if the human player won an
>important game and his parents were in the room people would go up and
>shake their hand and say "Congratulations, you must be very proud.")

(Really the same?)

>> I'm afraid it may raise unnecessary emotional thoughts of against
>> computers among people.
>
>People like that will get emotional whichever words you use.

Don't you think it cannot be changed or, at least, improved?
#Assuming we agree it's "unnecessary."

Hideki
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kato)