I don't know the answer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out
that the same theoretical issues exist for most reasonable tree search
schemes.  So it is possible that UCT has no superiority over alpha-beta
when it comes to making a parallel program.   But I don't really know.

- Don.

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 16:58 +0200, Magnus Persson wrote:
> Quoting Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > Yes, UCT is easier to use with multiple CPU's because with additional
> > processors alpha-beta programs do wasted work, unless you are talking
> > about theoretical programs with perfect move ordering, which you aren't.
>
> Nice that all is clear about alpha-beta programs.
>
> But... does not UCT with additional processors waste a lot of
> simulations because what would be the optimal path through the search
> tree depends on the threads that have not finished yet?
>
> Some people reported that more processors helps a lot on large boards,
> whereas on smaller one there is not much gain.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that UCT has no superiority
over alpha-beta when it comes to making a parallel program.   It has
it's own issues, maybe they reduce to the same issue but just in a
different context?   I don't really know.

- Don