We need to define terms so we don't end up arguing about something we
probably agree on.

Here is my assertion (which I admit needs to be checked):

Given perfect move ordering, but not a-priori knowledge of this,  a
parallel program will search more nodes on average than a serial
program.   And more processors will "waste" more work in this sense.
That's my definition of "wasted work."

I'm sure there are also synchronization issues and other overheads, but
let's just deal with the tree size.    I think you agree with this, but
I'm not sure.

I have to run but I will try to dig up a paper on this later today.

- Don