-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of "Ingo Althöfer"
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:35 AM
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Subject: [computer-go] 7.5-komi for 9x9 in Beijing

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
> I'd have some preference for playing the decisive game
> with komi = 6.5, but apparently thats not possible on KGS.

But that should not be a problem, as long as the operators
do not believe in the final verdict of KGS.

> I think with komi = 7.5 white
> is scoring very high (too high?) in the top games.

I made a count for the 9x9-competition in Beijing (komi=7.5:

Looking only at games among the top 5 rankers
there are 20 games so far (including two tiebreak-games)
with 15 wins for White and 5 Wins for Black.

Looking at all games among the top 7 rankers
there are 40 games (including two tiebrak-games)
with 27 : 13 for White.

Taking all 164 games of the tournament (including two
tiebrak games) White is ahead by 93:71.

It is probably not an accident that the quota decrease
with decreasing playing strength:

15/20  >  27/40  > 93/164   or translated to decimals
0.75  >  0.675  >  0.567.

However, when B+7 is the correct value on 9x9,
komi=6.5 might lead into similar problems.

Ingo.

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger