On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 11:47 -0700, Christoph Birk wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Don Dailey wrote:
> > much more common.    There were just a few games that used 6.5 komi
> > because when I first started CGOS I had set 6.5 by mistake but I think
> > that was just for a few hours at most.   The vast majority of these are
> > 7.5 komi games:
>
> After all this discussion about komi for 9x9 games, wouldn't you
> think that using 7.5 was a mistake and go back to 6.5 ?

Why?

First of all, it is not known that the correct komi is odd,  we only
have the observation that without seki it would be odd and seki is
relatively rare.   That is far from a proof - it's a hunch based on a
weak premise,  we assume that the rarity of seki is statistical evidence
that komi is odd.   And even if we accepted it as such then we admit the
possibility that it is really even.

But let's say the correct komi is 7.   I think that is fairly likely.  I
also believe that if komi is even, it's not going to be 6,  it's going
to be 8.   I base this on weak statistical evidence from CGOS games that
I mini-maxed.   Also, would you think 5.5 or 7.5 is better?   5.5 gives
black a huge advantage.   I think komi is 7 or 8.

But let's say it's 7.  I don't see any reason to favor 6.5 over 7.5
unless as Dave Fotland says we want to favor the first player as is done
in many other games.    The only reason I would favor one over the other
is if it turned out that in "practical play" the games ended up closer.
For instance if black won a 53% at 6.5 komi and white wins 51% at 7.5
komi, I would favor 7.5 because it kept the scores close.   I believe
6.5 would give black a bigger advantage than 7.5 gives white in
"practical play."

It would be great if we could prove that 7 is correct but I don't think
we have a reasonable way to do this.

Is there any way to prove that with best play the game cannot end in
seki?   I would accept that as a strong indication that 7 is probably
correct, because I doubt anyone believes 5 or 9 is correct.  I think the
candidates are 6, 7 and 8.

- Don