On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 18:54 +0000, Nick Wedd wrote:
> What sort of cheating does he complain about?  Does he provide evidence
> that it happens?

He couldn't flag his opponent when he ran out of time.  Of course this
could just be lag, or maybe he killed his process when he was losing.
Once you introduce allowances for lag there's no way of telling if it's
legitimate or intentional.

> Whenever I have connected to a server, for Go, chess, or any other game,
> I have used a proprietary binary, the client.  I have never found this a
> problem.

Keeping up-to-date binaries for all platforms tends to be a problem.
That's why KGS runs on Java -- which tends to be trivial to hack.  For
something like FICS, there are many open source clients or clients built
for particular platforms, so finding a suitable one is easy.  However,
the timeseal binary itself is separately maintained and compiled for
many platforms.

> Yes, but it only gives you more pondering time, not more full thinking
> time.

If the game is being relayed live then I can delay the timesealed
connection (traffic shaping isn't hard) after my program makes its move
but before the opponent responds, and on another connection anonymously
observe the opponent's reply and enter it manually into another running
copy of my program.  Now I have as much thinking time as I want.

-Jeff