On April 6, David Fotland wrote:

In Many Faces' playouts I don't keep arrays of liberties. I just keep the counts. In the older program I keep linked lists of liberties.

On April 7 he elaborated:

Yes, I walk both chains looking for duplicates. This is quite fast if done efficiently, since group merging is rare enough. I found keeping the liberty arrays to be slower since they are big, so there is more copy overhead in the UCT tree, and they are not cache friendly.

Two questions:

1) Do you maintain the counts even in MC playouts?

2) What do you do if you add a single stone to a chain? Do you walk the enlarged chain counting liberties (and checking for duplicates within the temporary liberty list), create a new one-stone chain and then perform merging, or something else?

Thanks,

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/