Next question: what about captures? Do you have to re-walk the neighboring chains when a capture occurs?

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

On May 31, 2009, at 9:27 PM, David Fotland wrote:

1) yes.  I maintain liberty counts during MC playouts.

2) Something else. I remove one liberty from the adjacent chain, then look at the empty points adjacent to the new stone and check if they are also adjacent to the adjacent chain, and adjust the liberty counts accordingly. At most 3 checks are required. I only have to walk a full chain when a move
merges two or more chains.  I hope this is clear :)

David