On Wednesday 10 June 2009 22:15:22 Ian Osgood wrote:

> We have evidence against going this low:  Rybka and several other
> modern engines were ported to the dedicated computers Resurrection
> (203 MHz StrongArm) and Revelation (500 MHz XScale).  Rybka's rating
> in the SSDF pool on these platforms are 2497 and 2634, respectively.

44  Resurrection Rybka 2.2 StrongARM 203 MHz   2497

That is for Rybka 2.2, which is 3 years old! I am talking about Rybka 3. In
the CEGT list:

Rybka 3 w32 1CPU      3052
Rybka 2.2n2 w32 1CPU  2944

Which is about 110 ELO stronger. Slightly less than 2 doublings of speed
again. So we end up somewhere near 75Mhz.

> To conclude, it appears that 500 MHz (embedded: poor cache
> performance) with little memory for transposition tables is the
> lowest you can go, while still staying at grandmaster level.

At 500Mhz, Rybka 3 would be about 2745 ELO. That's not grandmaster level.
That puts you in the top 15 in the world.

--
GCP