On 10.01.2016 20:06, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
it seems that different people are using the name "influence"
for different objects/properties.

In the computer go scene, 1-dimensional use goes back to
Albert Zobrist in his doctoral dissetation from 1970.

Where does your framework for "multi-dimensional" influence comes from?

Influence is a well-known term among players but its clear meaning remained a mystery until I described in 2011. Before influence was so unclear that it was hard, as a player, to know its difference from the other related term thickness. Early player understanding of influence was as naive as black / white influence light decreasing by distance (i.e., it is not really influence but proximity multiplied by some radiation function such as 1 or 1/x^2 or Manhattan distance and negative for white light and maybe visually blocked by the disks of stones) but everybody knew that that was wrong because dead stones do not create as much influence as live stones. Early expert system programs used the same naive concept, and every programmer would use his own implementation of distance and intensity of light. Such light maps give colourful maps that are impressive as paintings but close to useless because of containing both correct and false information.

Stronger players know that influence and thickness are related to strength of the stones creating the influence and solidity of the groups of thickness. But what is strength? From traditional Asian go theory, it was known that there is some relation between strength and strategic concepts such as (little) aji, development directions, board partitioning lines, potential for further territory etc. However, a systematic assessment of strength was missing.

So I studied the fundamentals of the traditional go theory and noticed that several strategic concepts (such as aji) used for thickness and influence were just implications of the more basic strategic concepts of connection, life and territory. I invented / (for 'life') rediscovered degrees of connection, life and territory, distinguished influence (the property of affecting other intersections) from thickness / thick shape stones (the property of the "strong" stones creating the influence) and defined both in terms of degrees of connection, life and territory. Territory is optional in the definition and can also be studied independently. Territory as a propery makes sense because it makes a difference whether influence cannot be used because of being in a neutral region or whether it is / can be used for protecting existing / making additional territory.

Study a few simple examples of groups of strong stones with a few or more opposing stones in the neighbourhood, and you notice that degrees of connection and degrees of life can differ from each other. So influence / thickness must be described at least by these two degrees. Furthermore, the values differ for Black and White, so at least four parameters are necessary for a complete description.

You find my informal definitions here
http://senseis.xmp.net/?Influence
http://senseis.xmp.net/?Thickness
or more carefully in my books. For the precise parameters of connection and life see
http://senseis.xmp.net/?NConnection
http://senseis.xmp.net/?NAlive

Concepts of proximity should be called 'proximity' while concepts of influence should be called 'influence'. Proximity maps / functions do not explain influence except for the simplest examples in which all stones are alive and the view is clear in every direction.

Computer go can have various study purposes (such as training neural nets or predicting the final colour control in a scoring position) and some sort of function over all intersections assigning them a single number may be convenient for fast numerical training, but do not forget that such a simplication trains both correct and false information without distinguishing them properly. If we want to become stronger players or create stronger programs, we must distinguish correct from false information. Therefore, replace 1-dimensional by multi-dimensional values if the task is to assess current positions rather than final scoring positions, in which one value is sufficient.

--
robert jasiek