"Who cares if the best chess program is 400 or 600 points stonger than best
human. They are strong enough."

This is a very limited view of this domain to think the only intention in
creating a Go AI is to play against humans and beat them. There is a much
larger and richer world of values we get to explore, both inside and
outside of Go, as we continue to progress on this.

I want AI players MUCH stronger than humans are at the current time. And I
think there are many who would like to see much stronger programs than
humans for plenty of reasons. One is to see where humans have gotten stuck
in local optimas playing with each other exclusively. Another is we will
learn all sorts of things about the limits and biases of human cognition
from an AI player who becomes a better and better teacher. Another, the
closer the computer gets to playing "ideal Go", the more some of us will
enjoy the utter beauty of its producing something human minds could not
directly perceive much less achieve. I am sure there are others. These were
the ones that just sprung to mind without much effort.