Simon wrote: "I was discussing the results with a colleague outside
of the Game AI area the other day when he raised
the question (which applies to nearly all sporting events,
given the small sample size involved)
of statistical significance - suggesting that on another week
the result might have been 4-1 to Lee Sedol."

call me naive, but perhaps you could ask your colleague to calculate
the probability one of side winning 4 games out of 5, and then say
whether that is within 2 standard deviations of the norm.

his suggestion is complete nonsense, regardless of the small sample
size.  perhaps you could ask a statistician next time.

--
patient: "whenever i open my mouth, i get a shooting pain in my foot"
doctor: "fire!"