blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px
#715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white
!important; } During its training, AlphaGo played many handicap games against a
previous version of itself, so the team and the program are acquainted with
handicap play. I don't recall reading any discussion of komi experiments.
Google's advantage is that they can dynamically spin up bunches of processors
to try all sorts of experiments, including tournaments designed to test various
versions, theories, and tweaks. There was some discussion about what to do if
one could spin up thousands of processr cores on demand.
There are surely large businesses in China which could do the same. They have
similar reasons to pursue deep learning and other creative uses of big data and
supercomputing.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, January 5, 2017, 9:36 PM, David Ongaro <david.ong...@hamburg.de>
wrote:This discussion reminds me of an incident which happened at the EGC in
Tuchola 2004 (maybe someone can find a source for this). I don’t remember all
details but it was about like this:

Two amateur players where analyzing a Game and a professional player happened
to come by. So they asked him how he would assess the position. After a quick
look he said “White is leading by two points”. The two players where wondering:
“You can count that quickly?”, but the pro answered “No, I just asked myself if
I would like to have black in this position. The answer is no. But with two
extra Komi for Black it would feel ok.”
So it seems professionals already acquired some kind of “value network” due to
their hard training, but they also can modify its assessments by taking Komi
into account. Maybe that's something we also should do, i.e. not only train the
value network by taking go positions and results into account but also add the
Komi as an input (the output would still be a simple win/lose result). In that
way we don’t have to train a different network for each Komi, even though the
problem getting enough training data for all Komi values still remains.