Leela playouts are definitely extremely bad compared to competitors like
Crazystone. The deep-learning version of Crazystone has no value net as far
as I know, only a policy net, which means it's going on MC playouts alone
to produce its evaluations. Nonetheless, its playouts often have noticeable
and usually correct opinions about early midgame game positions (as
confirmed by the combination of own judgment as a dan player and Leela's
value net). Which I find amazing - that it can even approximately get these
right.

On to the game:

Analyzing with Leela 0.10.0 in that second game, I think I can infer pretty
exactly what the playouts are getting wrong. Indeed the upper left is being
disastrously misplayed by them, but that's not all. -  I'm finding that
multiple different things are all being played out wrong. All of the
following numbers are on white's turn, to give white the maximal chance to
distract black from resolving the tactics in the tree search and forcing
the playouts to do the work - the numbers are sometimes better if it's
black's turn.

* At move 186, playouts as it stands show about on the order of 60% for
white, despite black absolutely having won the game. I partly played out
the rest of the board in a very slow and solid way just in case it was
confusing things, but not entirely, so that the tree search would still
have plenty of endgame moves to be distracted by. Playouts stayed at 60%
for white.

* Add bA15, putting white down to 2 liberties: the PV shows an exchange of
wA17 and bA14, keeping white at 2 liberties, and it drops to 50%.
* Add bA16, putting white in atari: it drops to 40%.

So clearly there's some funny business with black in the playouts
self-atariing or something, and the chance that black does this lessens as
white has fewer liberties and therefore is more likely to die first. Going
further:

* Add bE14, it drops to 30%.

So the potential damezumari is another problem - I guess like 10% of the
playouts are letting white kill the big black lump at E13. Now, 30% is
still way too high. Where does the rest come from?

* Add bA17, having black actually capture. it drops to 20%. So looks like
even having white in atari doesn't stop the playouts from misplaying. Black
in the misplays that corner despite being able to capture white any time!

Now where are the remaining 20% losses coming from?

* Have black physically capture the 5 white stones at K18: still 20%
* Solidly connect everything for black around the board: still 20%.
* Add bK18: drops to 10%.

Oh! So 10% more more came from black dying at the top. Even after black has
physically captured the 5 white stones there and having a living 5-space
eye, the playouts have black die there maybe 10% of the time.

Okay, now how is black still losing 10% of the time? White literally cannot
make 2 eyes even if he gets infinitely many moves in a row. I've already
solidly connected everything so that even if black passes forever, white
can kill literally nothing of black's and black will have enough points.

* Add wK14 or wM14: 3%
* Instead of that, add bK14: increases to 20% (!!!). Then have white
capture those 2 stones with wM14: 3%.
* Instead of all that, add both K16 and M16: 3%.

So clearly what's going on is that the playouts allow suicide, despite the
Leela gui not allowing it. That's the only way that white could possibly
live - black suicides 3 stones then white makes 2 eyes. And this neatly
explains these observations - adding bK14 puts black one step closer to
suicide 3 stones, so the MC winrate for white rises to 20%. Having white
play removes the possibility of black handing white 2 eyes via suicide. And
similarly filling K16 and M16 makes it so that when black plays 3 stones,
it's capture and not a suicide. So the playouts allowing suicide here is
leading to some incredibly bad MC evaluations.

Okay, so now that we removed that possibility, how is black still losing 3%
of the time?

* Remove liberties from white: once most of them are gone, drops to 2%.
Then drops to 1%, then once white is in atari, drops to -1%.
(the -1% presumably comes from the expected thing documented in the Leela
FAQ where Leela counts big wins as a bit more than 100%).

Now I'm just speculating. My guess is that somehow 3% of the time, the game
is scored without black having captured white's group. As in - black
passes, white passes, white's dead group is still on the board, so white
wins. The guess would be that liberties and putting it in atari increases
the likelihood that the playouts kill the group before having both players
pass and score. But that's just a guess, maybe there's also more black
magic involving adjusting the "value" of a win depending on unknown factors
beyond just having a "big win". Would need Gian-Carlo to actually confirm
or refute this guess though.

----

Phew! That was some long and fun exploration of how light Leela's playouts
are.
Hopefully some of this helps improve the playouts for future versions of
Leela - given that they're a significant weight in the evaluation alongside
the value net, they're probably one of the major things holding Leela back
at this point.