The 29 stone game wasn't really a "demonstration game".

My memory is that I had just finished igowin 9x9, and Martin played through
all its levels up to professional, without losing a game.  I was surprised,
and while we were talking the subject of a 29 stone game on 19x19 came up.

I don’t remember if I challenged him or if he said he could beat 19x19 on
that handicap.  So we made a very small bet (I don’t remember, maybe $5), on
the game and he played.  I was very confident Many Faces would win and was
really surprised when it didn't.  I don’t remember if we announced the game
before it was played.  I think we didn’t, but there were a few people
watching.

I don’t remember how the game record got out to the internet.

Martin, how do you remember it?  It was a long time ago...

regards,

David