On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Erik van der Werf
<erikvanderw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so what if the closest I can get is a 6-core i7. How many threads may I
> start on that one?

I guess you should make sure that it uses only 4 cores and you can
start as many threads as you want.
Your BIOS should allow you to disable cores.
You can also set thread affinity so that they don't use 2 cores.
If you can't do either of those I'm afraid the rules forbid to use
that particular machine in Kas Cup with more than 4 threads.

> Erik
>

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Łukasz Lew <lukasz....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Erik van der Werf
>> <erikvanderw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Lukasz' current rule gives a big advantage to i7 (low core count, 2
>> > threads
>> > per core, high clock rate, all the opposite for Opteron systems). In my
>> > experience performance per thread per GHz for a fully loaded system is
>> > quite
>> > similar for a wide range of processor types (I tested this for Opteron,
>> > i7
>> > and an older core2).
>>
>> These rules are a compromise between simplicity and the goal, which is
>> to measure algorithms instead of hardware.
>> Most important effect of limiting of number of cores is to cut a huge
>> advantage of using big clusters.
>> I am less concerned about relatively minor differences of architectures or
>> GHz.
>>

>> > Erik

Łukasz