In the news: more on colony collapse syndrome.  In Tuesday's New York
Times science section, there was a long article on disappearing bees and
the research to find the causes.  The scientists quoted in the article
seemed to think that the causes for the syndrome were probably
insecticides or pathogens rather than cellphone towers, but that the
research-which is being fast-tracked--wasn't far enough along to tell
anything for sure.

For those in the WAMU listening area, "To the Point" (scheduled at 3
p.m.) is supposed to discuss colony collapse syndrome today.  ("To the
Point" is a syndicated show that appears on many public radio stations,
though at different times.)  At least that was the announcement.  (You
also get David Petraeus and women's rights in Latin America, according
to the show's website, www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp.)

Maybe we won't have to lose our cellphones after all to save the crops.
Just as well-I can imagine the HUGE protests if businesses (and
teenagers) were asked to give up their precious cellphones and
blackberries to save a BUG.  The political battle to get rid of the
relevant insecticides, or other environmental hazards, will be bad
enough.

Constance Warner