Well I got a chance to try out my fix to transfer the data.

IT WORKED!

I bought a cheap USB HUB at Walmart. Took the cover off, and snipped off the wires (saved me from having to cut a perfectly good cord, plus price was the same)

Took the reinforced end off, and peeled back the cover of the wire. Bought some longer Steel stick pins (I had thought of using the original contacts, but too short and almost impossible to solder back on!)

Bent different pins at different angles so that they would not touch! (after of course tracing and figuring out which color went where.) Had to use my hemostats to attach one wire as I could not get a stick pin to solder at one contact point.)

Had wife hold memory card, attached the cord to a USB extension cord and immediately (well almost) it started to install the memory card.

Had one glitch and had to start over. (had to be very still) Got every thing transferred.

As soon as it was done, I had wife detach cord, and then allowed myself breath!

Now it was simple to transfer it to a new memory stick and bagged the old one.

$20.00 for a new memory stick and whatever I can get out of him for time, trouble and materials. (For what they charge for drive recovery My price will seem low.)

Would I want to do it again NO! My fingers are not as steady as they used to be, and I do not have a proper work bench with the proper light. (I need one of those magnifying lights! with clips!)

Stewart