What exactly does " cannot be coherently viewed " mean in your experience ?

  I mean that the PDF files are garbled.  Incoherent.  Alpha numeric
characters, but in a form that is nonsense.  Graphic files are reproduced just
fine, but not the text.  This is rare, but happens nonetheless.

  I will not install the Adobe Acrobat reader on my OS X Mac because of issues
with bloat and unnecessary ancillary files.

Sometimes you have to open the file from withing the program instead of clicking on it to open. I've seen the problem a few times. The worst offender is when I receive a PDF in an email and it displays as an attached text file. I have to wait for the entire thing to load, then detach it to view in Preview.

I don't like Adobe Reader either. Instead of using Adobe Reader, do use have the SchubertIt PDF plugin to view PDFs in a browser? That works pretty well too, and you can view and print from it. http://schubertit.com/

Betty