I am reluctant to enter into this discussion, since I am conflicted about the issues.

Were I 40 years younger, I would completely agree with Tom Piwowar that we all need to be honest as well as obeying the law -- all the stuff taught in Civics course in High School (never mind that my high school adviser told me that the civics course was for those not going to college).

But over the years I have seen many changes. Today, employers don't care at all about expertise nor loyalty from their employers nor do they care much about the desire of the customer unless it affects the bottom line of their company. Achieving a monopoly is paramount to them. As a person whose interests spans both engineering and artistic endeavors, I see copyright and patent law from more than one perspective. On the one hand corporations argue that they are protecting the innovation of the musician, the artist, the producers of radio & video materials, and the writer from exploitation by others. On the other hand, they prohibit many of these from actually engaging in copyright or patent protection. (As an example: many large engineering firms require all employees to assign in advance all copyright or patent rights to their employer from anywhere to ten years to life -- even if they quit the company and find another job -- regardless of whether or not these relate to the work of the employee. Thus, an engineer in said company would loose all profit for a literary novel he/she might write & publish after quitting the job that has no technical information whatsoever in it.)

(A second example: simply read http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~carroll/barroll/ My web page is a result of much effort regarding a composer of music. After his death, music publishers copyrighted his music without regard to his wishes or those of his family. Their purpose was to prevent other publishers from making a profit by republishing Barroll's music. Today, the composer is largely unknown and his estate receives no royalties because of these copyrights.)

In face of this one-sided perversion of copyright and patent law, about which the individual can't do much, what is to be done? I no longer believe that all law regarding copyright and patents should be obeyed by the individual for his own personal use where no harm is accrued to the patent or copyright holder. If there is a real harm, then of course I will honor the law and denounce those who break it. But first think: the Supreme Court says that an individual has a right to make an archival copy of anything in his possession: the current law makes it illegal to exercise that right by using someone else's software to do so. Is this latter law what we should obey?

Tom Piwowar wrote:
Have we gotten to the point where every crime is just another a business decision? If the benefit exceeds the fine or the probability of getting caught is not high then is there anything you would not do?