This is where it gets technical. I looked over the material you enclosed. What you fail to realize is that most of the lumber harvesting and big clean outs happened in the 1800's. I lived in Wisconsin for 12 years and the lumber industry died out in the early 1900's because they had gotten most of the good lumber.

We actually have more forested acres than we did in the early 1900's. However they are not virgin forests, they sometimes lack the diversity that the old forests had, but we do have more acres of tree's than we did in the early 1900's. (I think it was Teddy Roosevelt who establish national parks which helped preserve and grow forested acreage in the US.)

Is it the same amount of forested acreage that it was in the 1700's No nothing is as it was back then.

This whole area gets technical and can revolve around statistics but they do not give enough information. The Amazonian Rain Forest is still classified as a Virgin Forest.

By the way your statistics on Military spending also is a technical discussion. We spend more of our US budget on planned programs (I cannot remember the technical name) such as Social security, Medicare, Medicaid and other programs (WIC, Food Stamps, Welfare) than anything else.

There is a portion of the military budget that goes toward soldiers, optempo, equipment etc. etc. It is never as easy or as clean cut as someone else would like to state it. By the way we have the lowest number of foreign bases than we have had in the last 50 years! Plus there is the Reserve troops, National Guard troops whose costs are split between states and feds. The US Army actually has more Reserve/Guard troops than active duty. Certain fields of expertise are found predominately in the Guards/and certain ones within the reserve. This was done after the last quadrennial review in the mid 90's That is why there are so many guard/reserve folks being called to active duty today. (Civil Affairs, Medical etc.)

You can always quote whatever statistics you want, but unless you know how those were gathered and then how they are being interpreted they are just numbers.

Stewart