1a. Re: Dieing Languages
    From: Padraic Brown
1b. Re: Dieing Languages
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
1c. Re: Dieing Languages
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
1d. Re: Dieing Languages
    From: Roger Mills

2a. Re: THEORY: How to be beautiful?
    From: Leonardo Castro
2b. Re: THEORY: How to be beautiful?
    From: Leonardo Castro
2c. Re: THEORY: How to be beautiful?
    From: Jyri Lehtinen

3a. Re: Revising Tirelat romanization
    From: H. S. Teoh
3b. Re: Revising Tirelat romanization
    From: BPJ
3c. Re: Revising Tirelat romanization
    From: Adam Walker
3d. Re: Revising Tirelat romanization
    From: Jörg Rhiemeier

4a. Reference grammar vs. pedagogical grammar
    From: H. S. Teoh
4b. Re: Reference grammar vs. pedagogical grammar
    From: Adam Walker

5a. Re: Is this a good place to present Ehenív?
    From: Nina-Kristine Johnson

6a. Re: Ot: Ihilda and the Mescratchious
    From: Anthony Miles

1a. Re: Dieing Languages
    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 am ((PDT))

--- On Tue, 5/28/13, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews <goldyemo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So the meaning would automatically change?

It could. It doesn't háve to, but it probably will. Even if meaning
remains the same, pronunciation and possibly spelling will change.

> Would ten members be considered as a speech community or network?

Yes. Pick a number, any number!

> I know my linguistics texts talk about speech communities
> and network, but there isn't mentioned in my
> Sociolinguistics book.

One thing about social sciences has always seemed to be the rather fluid
nature of the nomenclature. Each "authority" (professor / writer / big
cheese in the field) has his own brand of nomenclature. A speech
community and a speech network are the same thing, it seems to me. Mind
you, I ain't a social scientist, and might just be struck down for uttering
such blasphemy!

> I wish that book had more than the one chapter on the subject. There is
> a small section in Chapter one in my Introduction to Linguistics text,
> but the same thing.

What? More than one chapter saying that "one or more speakers of any
language constitute a speech community"?

Padraic

1b. Re: Dieing Languages
    Posted by: "Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews" goldyemo...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed May 29, 2013 6:20 am ((PDT))