1a. Re: I am sure
    From: Anthony Miles

2a. Re: Periphrastic Verbs
    From: Anthony Miles

3a. Re: Concision in your conlang vs your L1
    From: Anthony Miles

4a. USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: DM
4b. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Zach Wellstood
4c. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Andrej Schütz
4d. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Andrej Schütz
4e. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: H. S. Teoh
4f. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Matthew George
4g. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Leonardo Castro
4h. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Adam Walker
4i. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Padraic Brown
4j. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    From: Toms Deimonds Barvidis

5. Audio language game
    From: Ph. D.

6. Conlang-Related Job: English Cipher
    From: David Peterson

1a. Re: I am sure
    Posted by: "Anthony Miles" mamercu...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 9:48 am ((PDT))

Nothing is "grammatically authorized" (yenumunaki, the Siye word for
"grammatical authorized), AFAIK, Siye renders "I am sure that" by using the
aspect-to-tense conversion suffix -(u)lu- with the realis forms of the
aspect/polarity/realis suffix. Thus while /pe yetelo epenumulotuna/ has the
suffix /-na/ (perfective aspect, positive polarity, realis mood) means 'You
(singular) took/have taken/will have taken the seeds', /pe yetelo
epenumululutuna/ adds the tense conversion suffix /-ulu-/ (the pronominal
number marker -lo- reduces to the single consonant -l- before the suffix -ulu).
This also means 'You (singular) took the seeds', but in addition to
establishing tense from aspect, it also can establish greater certainty. OTOH,
it may mean 'You took the seeds' simply and plainly. The irrealis forms /-me/
and /-ne-/, which express subjunctive and contrafactual, respectively, are more
strongly bound to tense, albeit relative tense, than the realis counterparts
/-ma-/ and /-na-/. /-ulu-/ converts the perfective aspect suffix /-na-/ into
the past tense; /-ulu-/ in theory converts the imperfective aspect suffix
/-ma-/ into the non-past tense (present or future), but in practice creates a
future - a stronger present tense can be created using the continuative suffix
/-tam-/. A purely tense-based system of Siye might look like this:

eluluwepuluna. I found it/them. (uluwe, to find)
eluluweputamna. I find it/them.
eluluwepuluma. I will find it/them.

Since Siye is aspect-based, however, this contrast is more likely:

eluluwepuna. I found it.
eluluwepuluna. (I am sure that) I found it.

On the opposite end, the suffix -yosa- can diminish certainty and therefore can
be used with the irrealis forms:

eluluwepunesu ... if I had found it ...
eluluwepuyosanesu ... if I had (supposedly) found it ... (sarcasm?)

The suffixes -tam-, -ulu-, and -yosa- are all Position 6 Suffixes and therefore
mutually exclusive barring periphrastic constructions.

2a. Re: Periphrastic Verbs
    Posted by: "Anthony Miles" mamercu...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 9:54 am ((PDT))

I agree, -te-, -ka-, etc., are modal verbs which happen in Siye to be expressed
as suffixes. The verb /elenuputenama/ is just a single verb. But the importance
of aspect (perfective vs. imperfective) in Siye cannot be stressed enough. The
imperfective root /nu/ 'make, do, build' together with the directional /na/
'up' creates the imperfective stem of the verb 'to build'. /e-/ and /le-/ are
the 4th and 1st person pronoun prefixes, respectively. The number suffix /pu/
is singular and must refer to the subject prefix /-le/ because the verb is in
the imperfective aspect – the number of the object remains undefined on the
verb. The desiderative suffix (Position 6 suffix) /te/ can only appear in verbs
with imperfective aspect. The suffix /ma/ indicates the verb possesses
imperfective aspect, positive polarity, and indicative mood.

The verb /elekepukanana/, on the other hand, illustrates the perfective aspect.
The perfective root /ke/ with the directional /na/ is the perfective equivalent
of the imperfective stem /nu/ plus /na/. The number suffix /pu/ indicates the
singular number of the object prefix /e/, because the verb is perfective –
any number indication of the subject must occur outside the verb. The intentive
suffix /ka/ can only appear in a perfective verb. The suffix /na/ after the
directional /na/ indicates the verb possesses the same polarity and mood as the
imperfective form, but the perfective aspect.

Siye participles are formed from the finite verb by removing the pronominal
prefixes and the number suffix from the verb. The participle originated as a
verb form derived from a verb with the coordinative suffix /-am/. Historically,
a verb such as /edediyoputenama/ became /edediyoputenamaang/ with the addition
of the coordinative suffix. The addition of /ngi/, the comitative suffix, to
/ang/, depending on the semantics of the verb, resulted in the new suffix
/angi/. Later changes produced the two forms /ani/ and /a'i/. The latter
reduced to /a/ under vowel dominance, and the former was reduced to /an/ and
reanalyzed as the regular positive verbal ending with an epenthetic /n/ to
preserve the initial vowel of the following verb. The aforementioned loss of
the prefixes and suffix also occurs Thus the maximal form of
/edidiyoputenamaangi/  became /litenama(n)/

Now, here is why I call it periphrastic. The sentence “I want to stop smoking
tobacco” /topako samokanemena-n-elenuputema/ has two Position 6 suffixes,
/te/ and /neme/. Since /te/ must take the imperfective, but /neme/ the
perfective, two verbal forms are required. /samoka/, as a loanword, uses the
same form in both aspects, but /neme/ must take the perfective aspect.
/elenuputema/ is a fully inflected transitive verb, with both prenominal
prefixes and the number suffix. The object prefix /e-/ refers to the object of
the periphrastic verb and not the participle, which is grammatically inanimate.
Although the /nu/ in /elenuputema/ is the same imperfective root that underlies
/nu/ plus /na/ 'to build', in this construction it is one of two possibilities,
the other being /kim/ plus the directional /ki/, 'to stand, to be', which Siye
uses as an auxiliary verb. The suppletive roots /nu/ and /ke/ 'to do' are used
with notions of moving or doing, while /kim/ plus /ki/ is used with notions of
being or staying. The choice of imperfective verb root /nu/ rather than the
perfective verb root /ke/ is conditioned by the desiderative suffix /te/, which
must appear in an imperfective verb. Thus the literal rendering of the phrase
is
“smoke-stop-perfective-epenthesis-it-I-”do”-singular-want-imperfective”.

Although this phrase runs together, the epenthesis only occurs before the 3rd
and 4th person pronominal prefixes. In the sentence / sa tumsumkomtuma
salenupuyammu samokanemenanelenupukomnu/ “I cannot become engaged to (promise
to marry) you because you have not decided to quit smoking”, the participle
/tumsumkomtuma/ and the verb /salenupuyammu/ do not run together. Even
/samokanemenanelenupukomnu/ is not perfectly bound, since both verb roots
/samoka/ and /nu/ retain their original primary stress -  /'samoka”neme”na
ele'nupu”komnu/.

An example of a periphrastic phrase with /kim/ plus /ki/ is /ilo
umhitamlosumkina/ /tamsumkina umhikimlokakina/ or /tamsukinanumhikimlokakina/s
'They decided to settle here'.

    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 10:14 am ((PDT))

Siye vs. English (31 [34 with title] vs. 66). Siye has less words than English,
but its morpheme-per-word ratio (as well as its syllable-per-word ratio) is
considerably higher. (elesupupummusuma < e- + -le- + -su/tu-su- + -pu- +
-num-/-mma + -ma)

The Litany against Fear
Limposune tetu Kekanaki

Lelimposupukanu.
Limposuki pimaki emulipusumtamnuma.
Limposu likekepu ekimpukimam, uku uka enupusumnuma.
Limposu lene elekopulutuma.
Lene pempesum elesupummusuma.
Metupusunakem, mupem ene yemtu lemeki elekopulutuma.
Lu mekem e limposu esum etupusunamekem, uku ekimpulukimam,
lekimputamkima.

The Resolution above Fear

I have resolved to not fear.
By fear something kills the mind.
Fear is the little death, and it destroys absolutely everything.
I will see my fear.
I will allow it to go behind me.
When this [fear] has gone, I will see its path by my inner eye.
In that place which [the fear] has left from [it], nothing will exist and
I shall continue to be.

4a. USAGE: New english conjunction?
    Posted by: "DM" decadent.muf...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 11:40 am ((PDT))

Interesting article came up in my Ling 101 class yesterday;

http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2013/04/24/slash-not-just-a-punctuation-mark-anymore/

It was only after reading it that I realized I subconsciously use slash in
this manner as well! What do those of the list think?

4b. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    Posted by: "Zach Wellstood" zwellst...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 12:16 pm ((PDT))

I find this quite interesting. The only thing is that I've **never* *heard
someone say this aloud, nor have I ever seen anyone write it out like that.
I'm used to things like "and/or" and have noticed that the meaning of the
slash isn't quite the same as "and" or "or," but I find it bizarre that, if
this word is becoming as ubiquitous as the author claims, I still haven't
heard it. If it's a generational thing, I'm 19....so I feel like I ought to
have heard it among my fellow young people. Maybe it's in an even younger
generation?

The only times I would imagine hearing it spoken is when a friend is
speaking facetiously, but in that case a lot of typically novel or
ungrammatical utterances are okay. (I'm thinking of Tumblr stereotypes: "I
can't even." / "I've got so many feels." etc.) When speaking in that way,
I've noticed my friends flout grammaticality a little bit, but the
discourse's participants need to be right for it. If speaking to someone
who's out of touch with that particular style of speaking, people won't use
it because it sounds ungrammatical to them. So, I wonder where exactly
spoken and written "slash" is becoming so popular. Still interesting to
think about!

As for the new use she mentioned, I've not heard that either and it's not
something I would say or write.

I'm also interested in what others on the list have to say or if anyone's
actually heard this.

Zach

--
raa'lalí 'aa! - [sirisaá! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlang>]

4c. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    Posted by: "Andrej Schütz" ashu...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 12:31 pm ((PDT))

Pretty interesting. As a non-native English speaker, I have heard it (from
native English speakers) and sometimes I do use it, both in written
language (but only as "/") and in spoken language. Although I was only
aware of the first use where it replaces "and", "or" or "and/or", the other
types were new to me as well.

The use of "slash" has even found its way into my native language, Slovene,
as "sle¹". People use it in spoken and written language, but the use is
mainly restricted to replacing "and" (or "or" or "and/or").

2013/9/6 Zach Wellstood <zwellst...@gmail.com>

> I find this quite interesting. The only thing is that I've **never* *heard
> someone say this aloud, nor have I ever seen anyone write it out like that.
> I'm used to things like "and/or" and have noticed that the meaning of the
> slash isn't quite the same as "and" or "or," but I find it bizarre that, if
> this word is becoming as ubiquitous as the author claims, I still haven't
> heard it. If it's a generational thing, I'm 19....so I feel like I ought to
> have heard it among my fellow young people. Maybe it's in an even younger
> generation?
>
> The only times I would imagine hearing it spoken is when a friend is
> speaking facetiously, but in that case a lot of typically novel or
> ungrammatical utterances are okay. (I'm thinking of Tumblr stereotypes: "I
> can't even." / "I've got so many feels." etc.) When speaking in that way,
> I've noticed my friends flout grammaticality a little bit, but the
> discourse's participants need to be right for it. If speaking to someone
> who's out of touch with that particular style of speaking, people won't use
> it because it sounds ungrammatical to them. So, I wonder where exactly
> spoken and written "slash" is becoming so popular. Still interesting to
> think about!
>
> As for the new use she mentioned, I've not heard that either and it's not
> something I would say or write.
>
> I'm also interested in what others on the list have to say or if anyone's
> actually heard this.
>
> Zach
>

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM, DM <decadent.muf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting article came up in my Ling 101 class yesterday;
> >

> http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2013/04/24/slash-not-just-a-punctuation-mark-anymore/
> >
> > It was only after reading it that I realized I subconsciously use slash
> in
> > this manner as well! What do those of the list think?
> >

> --
> raa'lalí 'aa! - [sirisaá! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlang>]

--
The future is predetermined by the character of those who shape it.
Prihodnost vnaprej doloèajo karakterji tistih, ki jo oblikujejo.

    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 12:50 pm ((PDT))

I decided to do a quick search for the use of "/" and Wiktionary appears to
acknowledge its use as a conjunction: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki//

I also found it in the first episode of The Big Bang Theory, which dates
back to 2007 so it looks like the use of the punctuation as a conjunction
in spoken language has been on the rise for quite some time now. Here's the
video: http://youtu.be/bJDkKjjkPnE?t=1m50s

    Posted by: "H. S. Teoh" hst...@quickfur.ath.cx
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 12:54 pm ((PDT))

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 03:16:11PM -0400, Zach Wellstood wrote:
> I find this quite interesting. The only thing is that I've **never*
> *heard someone say this aloud, nor have I ever seen anyone write it
> out like that.  I'm used to things like "and/or" and have noticed that
> the meaning of the slash isn't quite the same as "and" or "or," but I
> find it bizarre that, if this word is becoming as ubiquitous as the
> author claims, I still haven't heard it. If it's a generational thing,
> I'm 19....so I feel like I ought to have heard it among my fellow
> young people. Maybe it's in an even younger generation?
>
> The only times I would imagine hearing it spoken is when a friend is
> speaking facetiously, but in that case a lot of typically novel or
> ungrammatical utterances are okay. (I'm thinking of Tumblr
> stereotypes: "I can't even." / "I've got so many feels." etc.) When
> speaking in that way, I've noticed my friends flout grammaticality a
> little bit, but the discourse's participants need to be right for it.
> If speaking to someone who's out of touch with that particular style
> of speaking, people won't use it because it sounds ungrammatical to
> them. So, I wonder where exactly spoken and written "slash" is
> becoming so popular. Still interesting to think about!
>
> As for the new use she mentioned, I've not heard that either and it's
> not something I would say or write.
>
> I'm also interested in what others on the list have to say or if
> anyone's actually heard this.
[...]

I actually hear "slash" pronounced in speech fairly often, in phrases
like "that's her boss slash ex-boyfriend", "that's a printer slash
scanner slash fax machine". I hardly (if ever) say it myself, but my
wife says it pretty often, and so do many others around me.

It may be a regional thing.

Маленькие детки - маленькие бедки.

4f. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    Posted by: "Matthew George" matt....@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 1:19 pm ((PDT))

Formerly the 'slash' was sort of a glottal stop, but I've increasingly
heard it said explicitly.  Same with air quotes, which formerly were mostly
a matter of intonation in speech and are now sometimes used as a phrase.

Matt G.

4g. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    Posted by: "Leonardo Castro" leolucas1...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 1:41 pm ((PDT))

/ is used in this way in Portuguese too (probably in many other
languages), and frequently pronounced as "barra" (but never pronounced
in "e/ou" [and/or]).

Até mais!

Leonardo

    Posted by: "Adam Walker" carra...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 2:50 pm ((PDT))

All the uses up to number 7 are quite familiar to me.  At that point I was
totally weirded out.  I will so be looking out for this now, slash won't I
look cool when I know how to use it slash don't have to ask about it.

Adam

    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 6:40 pm ((PDT))

> Interesting article came up in my
> Ling 101 class yesterday;

> http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2013/04/24/slash-not-just-a-punctuation-mark-anymore/

> It was only after reading it that I realized I subconsciously use slash in
> this manner as well! What do those of the list think?

Interesting. On the one hand, mostly what's going on here, as I see it, is that
we're now
breaking the "tetragrammaton tabu". Where before people would speak some
circumlocution,
like "and" or "and or" or "then" or some other word appropriate to the moment
whenever they
came to a "/" in writing, we're now *speaking* as well as *writing* the
conjunction's name. This
is kind of like saying "and" when I see "&", or perhaps "indeed" when I see
"--"  on the page.
On the other hand, as far as examples 7 through 12 go, it seems to me this is
an extension of
the list enumeration powers that "slash" has long had. Traditionally, "slash"
has been used to
separate items (like the "request / require" example), as members of a list;
now, they're
extending that power to all the random bits of stream of conscious items (like
the saw alex slash
chubbed a cooky example) that have become to the modern echild the uttermost
deeps of
profundity.

In other words, "/" has been a latent conjunction for years; but now it's True
Name is being
more frequently spoken and it is taking it's place among the constellation of
other long
established conjunctions.

I'm sure the prescriptivists are shocked and horrified slash preparing their
diatribes against this
newly revealed conjunction. Closed class, schmlosed class!

Padraic

4j. Re: USAGE: New english conjunction?
    Posted by: "Toms Deimonds Barvidis" emopun...@inbox.lv
    Date: Sat Sep 7, 2013 3:38 am ((PDT))

I'm nineteen too and a native speaker of Latvian and I've been using "slash" in
at least some of the senses in English
for a few years now and it's slowly creeping into my Latvian, too. The way I
say pronounce it in Latvian is pretty
much the same as in English [sl{S]. I don't always write it in either language
but when I do, I use the English spelling
exclusively.

--
 Toms Deimonds Barvidis

Citējot Andrej Schütz <ashu...@gmail.com> :

5. Audio language game
    Posted by: "Ph. D." p...@phillipdriscoll.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 5:11 pm ((PDT))

Has anyone here tried this game?

http://greatlanguagegame.com/

6. Conlang-Related Job: English Cipher
    Posted by: "David Peterson" deda...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 6:39 pm ((PDT))

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how many conlangers here know about or follow the LCS Jobs Board,
but periodically we'll post about conlanging or conlang-related jobs that
various people are looking for. Right now we have a neat one up that's not to
create an actual conlang, but to create a visual cipher. You can find more
details here:

http://jobs.conlang.org/archives/150

It seems like an excellent opportunity for someone who creates conscripts. It's
worth noting, though, that you don't need to actually be able to create a font
to do this.

David Peterson
LCS President
presid...@conlang.org