I've been worrying about # 7 on Sandy's list (establishment of religion),
with respect not only to the issue of constitutional drafting but also
recent published reports about our role in the restructuring of Iraq's
public education system, where, as I understand it, we have put some
pressure on Iraqi educators to reduce Islamic elements in instruction.  How
far may we go in telling the Iraqis what to do about religion in their
culture before we transgress the obligation of governmental neutrality with
respect to religion in our culture?  To the extent that Iraq was a Muslim
nation when we invaded it, with Islam as an established state religion (I'm
not sure of the facts here), are we not acting against a specific religion,
and hence violating our own constitutional obligation to maintain religious
neutrality, if we call for any change in the status of Islam under a new
constitution?  And are we not also acting against Islam, thus violating
neutrality, when we press for a toned-down role for Islamic teaching in
Iraqi education?  Though I am not at closure on this in my own thinking, my
preliminary view is that any position other than acquiescence in Iraqi
self-determination regarding the role of Islam in public life risks a
violation of the Establishment Clause.

Mark Rahdert
Temple