On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Brent Hasty wrote:

> so how about ext3 vs XFS wich would you prefer?
> and why?
>
> The advantages vs. disadvantages?

That's something I would also want to hear opinions on ...

Since we got ACL support for ext3, they are mostly similar in features,
except:
1)Intermezzo doens't work with XFS yet, but then again I haven't managed
to compile intersync ...
2)XFS has xfsdump, which keeps all metadata, including ACLs. But, since
amanda can't span tapes, this doesn't really help us, since our tapes are
smaller than the partitions we need ...
3)Quotas might work better in XFS, but I haven't tested that enough ...
(ie from a windows box via samba).

I have seen the odd file corruption in XFS when the power dies, usually
the kdmrc gets mangled if yuo have root or /usr on XFS and the power dies,
but if you have a UPS (which we do on our servers, but not on my home
machine), it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think there is much between them performance-wise.

Buchan