For one, the XFS patches are rather non-invasive. Folks have argued on
lkml for a long time that Linus doesn't integrate patches that are too
invasive when quite the opposite is true -- he'd rather integrate
invasive stuff to make patching the kernel up w/ less-invasive patches
less difficult. Some very-invasive stuff will never get merged
(OpenMOSIX, for instance). Also remember that JFS was't merged until
2.4.19, the very latest stable release of 2.4, and it's considered less
stable than XFS.