On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Buchan Milne uttered these words of wisdom:

>On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Brent Hasty wrote:
>
>> so how about ext3 vs XFS wich would you prefer?
>> and why?
>>
>> The advantages vs. disadvantages?
>>

>That's something I would also want to hear opinions on ...
>
>Since we got ACL support for ext3, they are mostly similar in features,
>except:
>1)Intermezzo doens't work with XFS yet, but then again I haven't managed
>to compile intersync ...
>2)XFS has xfsdump, which keeps all metadata, including ACLs. But, since
>amanda can't span tapes, this doesn't really help us, since our tapes are
>smaller than the partitions we need ...
>3)Quotas might work better in XFS, but I haven't tested that enough ...
>(ie from a windows box via samba).
>
>I have seen the odd file corruption in XFS when the power dies, usually
>the kdmrc gets mangled if yuo have root or /usr on XFS and the power dies,
>but if you have a UPS (which we do on our servers, but not on my home
>machine), it shouldn't be a problem.
>
>I don't think there is much between them performance-wise.
>
>Buchan

This looks more like a personal message, but since it's on cooker, I'll go
ahead and add a comment.  I've been using XFS since it became available in
Mandrake and I've never been happier!  I haven't tried ext3 (which maybe
invalidates my opinion), but I know that SGI has been around for years and
their product has had the time to mature.  In other words, I've not had
any problems with it and I have it on all partitions except /boot on all
my linux boxes (4 including my laptop).

Mike

--
Michael Holt