I just finally managed to replicate the problem.

If I start a bash shell without sourcing /sw/bin/init.sh to set up the fink environment, I get this problem too.

So first issue

source /sw/bin/init.sh

then

coot

(or if you use tcsh, issue "source /sw/bin/init.csh ).

This not only sets up the $PATH, but ensures the rest of the environment is set up correctly by sourcing the various files in the directory /sw/etc/profile.d