Tim,

> do the absolute values matter? I tend to adjust the level (visually)
> so that the map shows what I want to show. Usually the pictures show
> some of the environment so that one can judge the map level by
> comparison, rather than absolute numbers. The scale always seemed very
> inexact and serve mostly as guidelines.

My objective is publication of a result, which means that I've already
convinced myself that the maps support the interesting structural feature.
Therefore, as guidelines, the maps in Coot were indeed helpful to me. But
for publication, not only do I want to provide an intelligible, meaningful
mage, but I want to describe the image in such a way as to make the view
reproducible. I suppose that as long as I state which visualization program
was used to make the image, and the settings involved, that should suffice
for reproducibility's sake. But I've never seen anything in publications
along the lines of the unitless "map level" used within a PyMOL session in
which the map was generated and manipulated. Rather, the text always says
that the map "was contoured at 3.5 sigma", or whatever is considered widely
appropriate per the map used. I suspect that people assume that the map
level in PyMOL is a sigma of some sort, but it was not clear to me (maybe
still isn't ...) what standard deviation--if that is what it is--is
actually calculated.

Emily.