I had an opportunity to build coot executable on a fresh ubuntu box.  It
compiles fine after you install few dependencies but I noticed the
following:

1) it seems that coot won't work without CCP4.  It won't load mtz files -
complained that the map file wasn't proper format.
2) Even after I installed CCP4, it wants me to have ccp4 configuration
script sourced or it won't refine even amino acids in real space.  I was
under impression that in the past standard amino acids were accessible even
if ccp4 monomer libraries cannot be reached.  Maybe it changed.

None of this is a big deal, just surprising.  Obviously, having coot
installed without ccp4 is a bit unusual, although having a standalone coot
(say, for teaching purposes on a flash drive) is not completely
unimaginable.

Cheers,

Ed.

---