The class level javadoc is quite short. It also has hyperlinks in the
first sentence, which means that they are visible in package level
javadoc. Consider having no hyperlinks in the first sentence, and
expanding a little on what base 64 is.

There are lots of other public base 64 implementations to test/check against.
http://commons.apache.org/net/api-3.1/org/apache/commons/net/util/Base64.html
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~jonah/bc/org/bouncycastle/util/encoders/Base64.html
http://migbase64.sourceforge.net/  (claims to be fast)

The arrays are defined inconsistently within the code (3 styles).
  private Encoder(byte[] base64, byte[] newline, int linemax)
  byte [] getBytes(ByteBuffer bb)
  private static final byte toBase64[] =
I'd strongly encourage one style be used, and that it is the first of
the three above.

Stephen