On 18/10/2012 14:19, Ulf Zibis wrote:
Hi Sherman,

you could create the code table by help of a String constant, which would speed up the loading and save a little footprint on the class file. (you have forgotten those tricks from sun.nio.cs coders? ;-) )

But my main question:
Why don't you enqueue those coders in the well known sun.nio.cs.ext provider? At least, I think, class Base64 should be hosted in java.nio.charset rather than common java.util. As I believe, that the usage of this encoding is far from common, adding it to the lazy loaded charsets.jar IMO should be more reasonable.
The encoders and decoders in java.nio.charset are for translating between bytes and Unicode characters and that is not the case here. I think java.util is probably the right place for this.

-Alan