On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 20:17:17 GMT, Paul Sandoz <psan...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> Alan, you mentioned that DualPivotQuicksort will need detailed review. Can
>>> we go ahead and start reviewing? Laurent checked performance, JMH results
>>> look fine.
>>
>> As before, I think the main question with this change is whether adding
>> radix sort to the mix is worth the complexity and additional code to
>> maintain. Also as we discussed in the previous PR, the additional memory
>> needed for the radix sort may have an effect on other things that are going
>> on concurrently. I know it has been updated to handle OOME but I think
>> potential reviewers would need to be comfortable with that part.
>
>> > Alan, you mentioned that DualPivotQuicksort will need detailed review. Can
>> > we go ahead and start reviewing? Laurent checked performance, JMH results
>> > look fine.
>>
>> As before, I think the main question with this change is whether adding
>> radix sort to the mix is worth the complexity and additional code to
>> maintain. Also as we discussed in the previous PR, the additional memory
>> needed for the radix sort may have an effect on other things that are going
>> on concurrently. I know it has been updated to handle OOME but I think
>> potential reviewers would need to be comfortable with that part.
>
> I too share concerns about the potential increased use of memory for sorting
> ints/longs/floats/doubles. With modern SIMD hardware and data parallel
> techniques we can apply quicksort much more efficiently. I think it is
> important to determine to what extent this reduces the need for radix sort.
> To determine that we would need to carefully measure against the AVX-512
> implementation (with ongoing improvements) with appropriately initialized
> data to sort, and further measure against an AVX2 version.

> Hi Paul (@PaulSandoz), Alan (@AlanBateman), Any update? Do you agree with
> Radix sort in parallel case only?

I think its definitely a better fit, but another aspect of my previous comment
was wondering if we need a radix sort if the vectorized quicksort
implementation is fast enough. IMO we need to compare performance results with
the vectorized quick sort, and be aware of future enhancements to that.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13568#issuecomment-1728082819