Shalom Levytam writes:

Hi,

I am a complete newbie to this list and to courierIMAP. I was wondering if I could get some beginners advice and direction.

Though I am new to establishing email servers and the like, I am proficient in programming and hopefully not completely ignorant :)

I'm looking to start a new project which will involve creating what might be called a virtual IMAP server. Essentially, I would like to take a pop3 email account from work and create my own imap server for it. My idea is that my server will check my work pop3 account every so often using a cron job or similar. It will then download the messages onto my own server where I could access them using my own imap server.

There are existing tools that will easily do this, for you.

if i delete a message through my imap server it would then check to see if the message is still present on my work pop3 account and remove it.

However, no tools exist that can do that part, to my knowledge. Courier-IMAP is not going to do anything, after deleting a message, besides deleting this message. End of story. Of course, you are free to write your own code that then goes out and deletes the message from your external POP3 server. This is a lot of code, but if you want to do this, good luck and have fun.