On 5/13/2008, Sam Stern ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I've had this problem as well. Thunderbird starts choking when more than a
> few thousand messages are there. Outlook 2003 or 2007 can handle this load
> however -- given enough time to download the headers.

When using courier-imap, yes, Ive seen this too...

But one client, where some users have 20K+ message folders, but who
switched to dovecot, do *not* have this problem, once dovecot has built
its indexes. In fact, it takes less time for dovecot to index a 20k+
folder than it does for courier-imap to serve up a folder with 5k messages.

Once the indexes are built - well, dovecot just leaves courier in the
dust... sorry Sam, but it is true, and you have said more than once in
the past that you have no intention of adding an indexing feature to
courier-imap... why, I have no idea...

And dovecot 1.1 is even considerably faster still.

There are still some features that dovecot lacks (but those are being
added fairly quickly), but even so, I'm migrating all of my clients to
dovecot now and advising anyone I talk to to use it instead.