Ben Rosengart writes:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:51:15AM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Ben Rosengart wrote:
>>
>> > I need to manage it from host A.  Now I either have to maintain
>> > separate builds of courier-imap, or delete and recreate the symlink
>> > every time either database is rebuilt (and make sure never to try to
>> > update both databases at once).
>>
>> You do not need to recreate anything.  If you run makeuserdb against
>> /export/foo/userdb, creating /export/foo/userdb.dat and
>> /export/foo/userdbshadow.dat, nothing's going to happen to their
>> corresponding symlinks in /foo.
>
> So on host A, I have /export/foo (mounted on host B as /foo) and
> /export/bar (mounted on host C as /foo).
>
> If I build courier to use /foo/userdb*, and have a symlink on host
> A from /foo to /export/foo, then to build the database for host C,
> I have to change /foo to point to /export/bar.  Or have a separate
> build of courier which uses /export/bar/userdb*, which I only use
> on host A to build the database for host C.  Or what am I missing?

Why don't you simply build Courier using --sysconfdir=/etc/courier and
 --with-userdb=/etc/courier/userdb, and install a soft link on each host,
/etc/courier, that points to the right configuration directory for that host
where all the configuration files, not just userdb, are saved.

I.E., on host A /etc/courier points to /foo/export, on host B /etc/courier
points someplace else.  You now have a consistent naming schere and you
don't have to remember where on each host this directory may be found -- you
just look where /etc/courier points to.

Use /export/foo to build Courier.
--
Sam