On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Ask Bj?rn Hansen wrote:

I find it curious that everyone who's actually involved in syncing the files or running
mirror servers seem to think it generally sounds like a good idea and everyone who
doesn't say it's "not worth the effort".

Sure, I don't run a CPAN mirror, but I do manage many, many terrabytes of
storage as part of my day job.  I think it's a tad presumptuous to disregard
input just because we're not in your inner sanctum.  As I mentioned in a
follow up e-mail:  this is simply a matter of selecting the correct problem
domain.  I believe that streamlining the mirroring process will provide
greater gains for less effort.

That's not to say that pursuing other efficiencies isn't worthwhile, just
that you need to prioritize.

But what the hell do I know.  I don't run a *CPAN* mirror, so I must be
freaking clueless...

        --Arthur Corliss
          Live Free or Die