On Mar 28, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Randy Kobes wrote:

> Has some sort of disk quota system for CPAN author accounts ever been
> considered?

Not specifically, no, at least not that I'm aware of. That would have to be
implemented on PAUSE and quotas frequently end up not solving the real problem
and create a headache both for the sysadmin and the users.

Jarkko and I were talking about it this morning - as he's not in favour of
pruning - while trying to think of a way around the size problem and he
reminded me of the idea that, if I recall correctly was Adreas' suggestion a
while back, there be an A, B and C 'PAN' of sorts where you could pull varying
degrees of content - sort of CPAN:Mini writ large. I don't think that idea ever
got any traction because it wouldn't really solve some of the issues for the
major upstream mirrors and the mechanics of deciding where to draw the lines
between them. I still think it's a good idea though.

I do very much like Tim's proposal for giving old modules a push to BackPAN
since, with proper communication of the changes to the authors along with a way
to mark exceptions, this would rid CPAN of a lot of cruft that should be on
BackPan anyway.

e.