Having looked at the code for the MANIFEST check, I see that it uses
File::Find to enumerate what's present, and then checks that each item
in the MANIFEST is in the set of files that it found.  So the problem
seems to amount to File::Find failing to recurse into subdirectories.
I suspect that the installation is happening on a filesystem that shows
nlink==2 for all directories, thus misleading File::Find into applying
the no-subdirectories optimisation.

I think the second run, with sudo, went wrong because it was working
from an unclean build directory.  Only the first failure is meaningful.

-zefram