On 04/20/2018 08:30 AM, Karen Etheridge wrote:
A new File::Copy::Recursive has been released -- has the threat now passed?

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 7:25 PM, James E Keenan <jkee...@pobox.com <mailto:jkee...@pobox.com>> wrote:

    This message is intended for people working on the Perl toolchain
    and, in particular, for attendees at the Perl Toolchain Summit
    starting tomorrow in Oslo.

    The test-against-dev work I have been conducting for several months
    has identified at least one CPAN distro, high up in the toolchain,
    which is broken on non-Linux operating systems.  The reasons for
    this breakage are sub-optimal code in modules or test suites, not
    "Blead Breaks CPAN."  Such breakage prevents the distro from being
    installed and means that its revdeps are never reached during the
    following cases:

    * Installation via 'cpan' shell:  Distro fails and is graded as FAIL
    and reported to metabase.  Assuming on 'force install' is attempted
    on distro, revdep is graded as DISCARD and no report is sent to
    metabase or to revdep's maintainers.

* Installation via 'cpanm':  Distro fails and is graded as FAIL. Revdep is not attempted and is not graded anywhere.  You have to
    examine build.log for messages reporting "Bailing out ...."  No
    report is sent to metabase or to maintainers.

    * Because test-against-dev relies on 'cpanm', if a distro in, say,
    the top 1000 of the CPAN river fails, its revdeps are never reached,
    meaning their code does not get exercised against the latest monthly
    development release.

    The CPAN distro of greatest concern right now is
    File-Copy-Recursive(http://search.cpan.org/~dmuey/File-Copy-Recursive-0.40/
    <http://search.cpan.org/~dmuey/File-Copy-Recursive-0.40/>),
    currently ranked about #128 in the CPAN river.  On FreeBSD (and
    perhaps other OSes), FCR's current version (0.40 as of Apr 17 2018)
    has an unfixed bug
    (https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=123964
    <https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=123964>) leading to test
    failures and failure to install.  Unless a user chooses to '--force'
    install FCR, that prevents its revdeps from being installed in an
    automated manner or tested against dev/blead.

    Over 6000 CPAN distributions have direct or indirect dependencies on
    FCR, including CPAN-Reporter, Test-File-ShareDir, DateTime,
    Dist-Zilla and Catalyst-Devel.  So thousands of CPAN distros cannot
    be installed on FreeBSD and other systems.

    The author of FCR is aware of the bug ticket and Tom Hukins provided
    a patch which I have tested successfully on FreeBSD.  But the patch
    has not been applied as of yesterday.  As we are now in the
    countdown to perl-5.28.0, we really need to be able to assess the
    impact of release candidates on CPAN -- and not just on Linux.

    Earlier this week I wanted to resume sending CPANtesters reports
    from FreeBSD-11.1.  I tried to install CPAN-Reporter but could not,
    due to the bug in its dependency, FCR.  To address that I have
    uploaded to CPAN a new CPAN distro, File-Copy-Recursive-Reduced
    (FCR2), which provides stripped-down versions of 2 FCR subroutines,
    fcopy() and dircopy(), which are used in the CPAN-Reporter test
    suite.  I then branched CPAN-Reporter to create a version which uses
    the FCR2 versions of these functions rather than FCR.  That makes
    CPAN-Reporter installable again. I have therefore filed:

    https://github.com/cpan-testers/CPAN-Reporter/issues/88
    <https://github.com/cpan-testers/CPAN-Reporter/issues/88>
    and
    https://github.com/cpan-testers/CPAN-Reporter/pull/90
    <https://github.com/cpan-testers/CPAN-Reporter/pull/90> (a better
    p.r. than my earlier /89)

    I hope that during the PTS you can review and apply this p.r. and
    upload a new version of CPAN-Reporter.  This will once again permit
    automated installation on FreeBSD and other non-Linux operating
    systems.  It will also help us to assess perl-5.28's possible impact
    on that distro and its revdeps.

Karen, thanks for alerting me to that. I am now checking the installation on FreeBSD-11.1 of modules that this was blocking, including Test-File-ShareDir, DateTime and Dist-Zilla. I should have results in a couple of hours.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan