Another reason for PGP 2.x compatibility is that there are a lot of
old computers out there that will not run more modern versions. Many
of these machines find their way into 3rd-world countries and NGOs
where there is a life-and-death need for security.

Also there is a argument that these old machines are significantly
more secure than new equipment. The real threat to PGP security is
clandestine software that captures and leaks your secret key.
Bloatware (30-50 million lines of code in Windows 2000) has made any
kind of independent OS security checking nearly impossible.  BIOSs
and CPU firmware have also grown enormously and offer room for all
sorts of mischief. An old 68000 Mac or 8086 PC with no hard drive is
a lot more trustworthy in my opinion, and can make a very effective
crypto box.

Arnold Reinhold