There are also existing applications like the time stamper in England,
automated keyservers, mailer add-ins, and anonymous remailers which use
the 2.x formats, so the 'installed base' is more than just individual
users.

The point about old computers is particularly apt, and there are
mini-OSes like picoBSD and so forth which could support the older
versions, ssh, abd a terminal program, all from a floppy.

Timestamper URL:
http://www.itconsult.co.uk/stamper.htm