At 3:43 PM -0600 12/6/2000, Rick Smith at Secure Computing wrote:
>Does anyone have a citation as to the source of this 1.33
>bits/letter estimate? In other words, who computed it and how? It's
>in Stinson's crypto book, but he didn't identify its source. I
>remember tripping over a citation for it in the past 6 months, but
>can't find it in my notes.

Bruce Schneier has two cites in Applied Cryptography 2nd Ed. on p. 234:

  Claude E. Shannon, "Prediction and Entropy in Printed English," Bell
System Technology Journal, v.30 n.1, 1951 pp. 50-64.

Thomas Cover and R.M. King, "A Convergent Gambling Estimate of the
Entropy of English." IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, v. IT-24, n.
4, July 1978, pp. 413-421.

Arnold Reinhold