At 12:12 PM 12/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:

-------------------------------- snip ---------------------------------------

>Finally, I'd like to see software that employs passphrases offer to
>suggest a passphrase, rather than let the poor user sort through all
>the conflicting -- and often bad -- advice that is out there. After
>all, any public key system has to have a good source of true
>randomness.  And if you don't trust that software, you shouldn't be
>giving it you passphrase under any circumstances.
>
>Arnold Reinhold

Arnold:

Document Security Manager has offered a 14 bits-per-word, known-entropy
nonsense-phrase generator in the Professional version's "change passphrase"
function for quite some time. See

  http://www.CerberusSystems.com/INFOSEC/products/docusec.htm

It simply uses its ANSI X9.17c keystream generator to generate addresses
for an included 16K-word dictionary, similar to your Diceware concept. It's
hardly rocket science, and users seem to find it helpful in an unburdensome
way.

Albert P. BELLE ISLE
Cerberus Systems, Inc.
ENCRYPTION SOFTWARE with