[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
John Ioannidis wrote:
| Does anyone know how this "security questions" disease started, and
why | it is spreading the way it is? If your company does this, can you find | the people responsible and ask them what they were thinking?

The answer is "Help Desk Call Avoidance"; allow the end-user to fix
their own account without having to get someone on the phone. This is
simply an available mechanism in the spectrum between easy-to-use and
rock-solid security.

As the discussion so far indicates, and as published papers show, the
security of these "security questions" is lower than the security of
the password.

| My theory is that no actual security people have ever been involved,
and | that it's just another one of those stupid design practices that are | perpetuated because "nobody has ever complained" or "that's what | everybody is doing".

Your theory is incorrect. There is considerable analysis on what

Can you reference it please? There has been some analysis on the entropy of passphrases as a password replacement, but it is not relevant.

constitute good security questions based on the anticipated entropy of
the responses. This is why, for example, no good security question has a
yes/no answer (i.e., 1-bit). Aren't security questions just an
automation of what happens once you get a customer service
representative on the phone? In some regards they may be more secure as
they're less subject to social manipulation (i.e., if I mention a few
possible answers to a customer support person, I can probably get them
to confirm an answer for me).

The difference is that when you are interfacing with a human, you have to go through a low-speed interface, namely, voice. In that respect,
a security question, coupled with a challenge about recent transactions,
makes for adequate security. The on-line version of the security question is vulnerable to automated dictionary attacks.

/ji