On 04/06/2012 03:23 AM, Peter Maxwell wrote:
> On 5 April 2012 18:06, Marsh Ray <ma...@extendedsubset.com
> <mailto:ma...@extendedsubset.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/05/2012 04:12 AM, Ralf-Philipp Weinmann wrote:
>

>         Do you have statistics on that? I remember newer Microsoft and Apple
>         operating systems supporting L2Sec quite well. And then there
>         are the
>         Cisco abominanations of IPSec that are quite common. But maybe
>         not as
>         common as SSL VPNs. And let's not forget OpenVPN for the geek
>         faction. Where did you get the data that PPTP still is "one of the
>         most commonly-used VPN protocols".
>

>     Honestly, it's been years since I messed with VPNs and I have not
>     done methodical research. I suspect VPN industry studies are likely
>     to to be skewed by selection bias (IT departments who are likely to
>     spend spend money on a real VPN).
>

> There's two reasons I haven't commented on this (despite it being good
> work):
>
> i. I'm not familiar enough with PPTP, and always avoided it like the
> plague anyway (and that was 10 years ago).  Does dial-up not still
> generally use MS-CHAPv2?

Not sure about dialup, but in 802.1x the combination of PEAP/MSCHAPv2 is
still quite common (last seen about a week ago). Though without MitM-ing
the outer layer (PEAP) it'd be difficult to use the MSCHAPv2 attack
because the challenge is not in the clear, I guess.

On the other hand, there's only a handful of people that supply the
server cert for 802.1x, so MitM-ing shouldn't be hard in practice.

Ondrej