On 5/01/13 04:44 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
John Case <c...@sdf.org> writes:

So what does it cost to start a root CA, get properly audited (as I see the
root CAs are) and get yourself included into, say, firefox or chrome ?

The rule of thumb I've seen from various inside sources is about $1M [0].

Nod. From the audit perspective alone, the rule of thumb we worked with was minimum $0.25M for the audits alone. That didn't include the work the CA did, just the fees to the auditors. From there, it isn't a stretch to reach Peter's number above for the total cost.

iang