On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM, John Young <j...@pipeline.com> wrote:

> This is the comsec dilemma. If a product or system becomes mainstream
> it is more likely to be overtly and/or covertly compromised.

This is why it's important the client is open source, the binaries are
reproducible, and the encryption is end-to-end.

Silent Circle is halfway there: most of the source code is available, but
last I heard not all the pieces were there and people weren't able to build
it (perhaps that changed?)

Clearly OpenSSL is a great demonstration that many eyes don't make
bug(door?)s shallow, but if the source is available, it's certainly
something that can be used to build trust in a system.