In a message dated 12/23/98 2:45:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I can't access any of the lists. Would you please send out the ALERT
 below to CTRL list re today's AP story and the wrong numbers mentioned
 in the story by Jennifer Loven (the URLS are included so that you can
 take a look). I don't have access to my other e-mail account.
 Thanks!
 -Andy

 SUBJECT: AP story Reports Speaker-in-waiting Hastert Old ACU Rating
 DATE: 12.23.98

 In the AP story "Hastert a Conservative at Heart," by JENNIFER LOVEN,
 Associated Press Writer, the ACU rated Speaker-in-waiting Hastert a
 score of 88  ["....The American Conservative Union gave him an 88...."].
 But at http://www.conservative.org/98ratings/IL2ME.htm , of ACU's
 website, a score of 100 was given for 1998.  The 88 score was given in
 1997, from what the chart reads. Any idea why AP wrote otherwise
 --giving last year's info seems misleading?

 You can find the AP story at
 http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WAPO/19981223/V000995-122398-idx.html

 The man isn't even Speaker yet and the media's starting already!