-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/book-
reviews/0879759550/rileygenterpriseA/002-3013855-6230800
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/book-
reviews/0879759550/rileygenterpriseA/002-3013855-6230800">Amazon.com: Reviews:
Urantia : The Great Cult M </A>
-----
One point of view, with a couple of others thrown in for good measure.
-----

Urantia : The Great Cult Mystery
by Martin Gardner
Try express shopping with
1-ClickSM and Gift Click Our Price: $19.57
You Save: $8.38 (30%)
Usually ships in 2-3 days
Hardcover - (April 1995) 445 pages

 at a glance  reviews  customer comments  if you like this book...
table of contents
Keyword Search
Full search: Books, Music, or Video

Urantia : The Great Cult Mystery
by Martin Gardner
Try express shopping with
1-ClickSM and Gift Click Our Price: $19.57
You Save: $8.38 (30%)
Usually ships in 2-3 days
Hardcover - (April 1995) 445 pages

Table of Contents
1. The Urantia Book
2. Dr. William Sadler
3. Dr. John Kellogg
4. Ellen White's Plagiarisms
5. The Living Temple
6. Wilfred Custer Kellogg
7. The Revelation Begins
8. Harold Sherman and Harry Loose
9. OAHSPE
10. Science in The Urantia Book, Part I
11. Science in The Urantia Book, Part II
12. Adventist Influence on The Urantia Book
13. Sadler and Sister White
14. Did Sadler Contribute to the Papers? Part I
15. Did Sadler Contribute to the Papers? Part II
16. Plagiarisms in The Urantia Book
17. Bitter Schisms
18. Joe Pope and the New Teachers
19. The Great Rebellion
App. A. Books by William Sadler, Sr.
App. B. Books by Harold Sherman
App. C. Sherman's Letter to Sadler
App. D. The Story of Joseph of Arimathaea
App. E. Unusual Words and Phrases that Sadler and The Urantia Book Have
in Common
App. F. Acknowledgments
Name Index

Reviews
Amazon.com
The media has temporarily turned its large but constantly blinking eye
away from cult-of-the-day reportage after the Waco conflagration, but
such organizations continue to collect adherents. Martin Gardner, best
known as mathematical-games-meister for Scientific American, turns his
refreshingly unblinking gaze on the origin and continuing growth of the
Urantian cult, whose members believe they are receiving corrigenda to
the Bible from celestial beings. A marvellous study of the ways in which
the zaniest ideas can be propagated through society.
>From Booklist , April 1, 1995
The Urantia Book is at the center of one of the more interesting
esoteric American sects in a century full to bursting with them. As
such, it was bound to attract premier debunker Gardner's attention.
Gardner begins by regrettably briefly recapitulating the book itself and
 summarizing the history of the Urantians' connections with Sister Ellen
White and the Seventh-Day Adventists and other fin de sie{…}cle
religionists, and he closes with a panorama of the present state of the
Urantia movement and its reforms and schisms. But Gardner uses the core
of his text to establish, by textual analysis and other tools, Dr.
William Sadler as The Urantia Book's main, if not sole, author. Whether
he succeeds in this endeavor each reader will decide individually; his
case is certainly remarkably compelling. There are a few flaws, for the
sheer weight of facts unearthed by his research sometimes overpowers the
thread of his argument. And sometimes Gardner allows himself to wax
sarcastic at an especially egregious example of inanity. But then, who
wouldn't? Dennis Winters
Copyright© 1995, American Library Association. All rights reserved

Martin Gardner, one of America's most acclaimed science writers, has
here compiled the first complete history of a growing, modern religious
cult. Gardner traces the cult's beginnings back to its "bible," The
Urantia Book, a book supposedly revealed solely by celestial beings to
correct the flaws in the traditional Bible. Published in 1955 under the
direction of cult leader Dr. William Sadler, The Urantia Book (Urantia
is the cult's name for the earth) is the largest work ever said to have
been channeled by unseen higher beings through human contacts. It
differs from earlier channeled "bibles" in that it contains a vast
amount of modern science as well as a detailed biography of Jesus
Christ, complete with facts not found in the Gospels. As a result, many
scientists and scholars are dedicated Urantians. In addition to
discussing the beliefs of the Urantia cult, Gardner reveals two major
developments that threaten to splinter the movement. The first is a
sectarian rift that has split the movement into two major competing
factions. The second is the growing belief of hundreds of Urantians that
they, too, are receiving their own messages from the celestials, who
they claim are preparing Urantia for a new revelation intended to usher
in a utopia of "light and life." Such secondary revelations are seen as
jeopardizing the authority of The Urantia Book. Among the other topics
addressed are the extent to which Seventh-day Adventist beliefs
influenced the writing of The Urantia Book, the flaws in Urantian
science, and allegations of plagiarism on the part of the authors of The
Urantia Book.

Midwest Book Review
Martin Gardner, one of the best science writers publishing today, has
compiled the first complete history of a modern religious cult. Gardner
traces the cult's beginnings back to its "bible", The Urantia Book, a
book supposedly revealed solely by celestial beings to correct the flaws
of the traditional Bible. Published in 1955 under the direction of cult
leader Dr. William Sadler, The Urantia Book is the largest work ever
claimed to have been channeled by superbeings through human contactees.
It differs from earlier channeled "bibles" (such as A Course in
Miracles) in that it contains a vast amount of modern science as well as
a detailed biography of Jesus Christ, complete with facts not found in
the gospels. For these reasons, many scientists and scholars are
attracted to the Urantian movement. In addition to discussing the
beliefs of the Urantia cult, Gardner reveals two major developments that
threaten to splinter the movement. He outlines how hundreds of Urantians
now believe that they, too, are receiving their own messages from the
celestials who are preparing Urantia (the cult's name for Earth) for a
new revelation intended to usher in a utopia of "light and life". Such
secondary revelations are seen as jeopardizing the authority of The
Urantia Book. Gardner also addresses the extent to which Seventh-Day
Adventist beliefs have penetrated the Urantia movement. He analyzes the
flaws in Urantian science and discusses allegations of plagiarism on the
part of the authors of The Urantia Book. Gardner's skill and insight
will reveal how modern cults arise and the extent to which believers
develop a mind-set that becomes impossible to alter regardless of how
strong the opposing evidence is.
=====

Urantia : The Great Cult Mystery
by Martin Gardner
Try express shopping with
1-ClickSM and Gift Click Our Price: $19.57
You Save: $8.38 (30%)
Usually ships in 2-3 days
Hardcover - (April 1995) 445 pages

Customer Comments
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other readers!
Avg. Customer Review:  ; Number of Reviews: 4

Bill Murphy ([EMAIL PROTECTED] from U.S. , August 23, 1998
Misnamed
Gardner attempts to discredit the Urantia book immediately with his
title "Cult". Believe the revelations or not, Urantia is a book that
wrote the book on cults and their danger. The Urantia book even warns
readers not to "cultify" the book. Gardner apparently hasn't read it.

Scepticism is healthy and welcomed by this reader, and I look forward to
more skeptics debunking Urantia. However, honesty about the content is
necessary in order to trust the skeptic.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] from Boulder, CO , June 9, 1998
Poor Martin...
While it's certainly unintentional, Gardner has done something valuable
with this book: it will stand as a useful illustration of one of the
more delusionary intellectual sophistries of those who choose to live
life without living faith.

What's more, anyone interested enough in The Urantia Book to bother with
his efforts to debunk it, may actually become intrigued enough to read
the UB for themselves; and that's the ultimate redeeming value of
Gardner's psuedo-scholarship.

I look forward to a Mansion world reunion of the several Urantians
Martin inadvertently turns on to The Urantia Book! It could give rise to
one of the more memorable crow-eating sessions of Urantian history...
<G> (subject matter rates a 10; Gardner's conclusions a sketchy 2.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] from Arizona U.S.A. , November 19, 1997
An eye opening expose' of gross religous manipulations
Martin Gardner has clearly done extensive and scholarly research in
preparing this book. It was fairly easy to read and quite to the point.
I found it very interesting that the Urantia book found it's origin with
a group of dis-gruntled ex Seventh Day Adventists. As Martin Gardner
points out so clearly E.G. White who founded the S.D.A. church is well
known for her blatant plagerisms and her hypocrisy. What a foundation to
build another elaborate religious manipulation upon. And this is just
what Dr. William Sadler did, he master minded the creation of a
compromised Bible filled with outright lies and fiction mixed with
stolen truths for those who are unwilling to accept the God of the Holy
Bible.

I believe that Martin Gardner showed beyond the shadow of a doubt that
the Urantia book and the entire Urantia movement which has followed is
built on a foundation of shifting sand. The Urantia book is quite
clearly not the product of pure divine inspiriation but rather a clever
and intricate web of fantasy and deception mixed with faulty S.D.A.
doctrines and plagerized truths. I would highly recommend this book
especially to those who have believed the lie that the Urantia book was
inspired by 'higher beings'. No The Urantia book was inspired and
compiled by dishonest, arrogant and power hungry indivduals.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] from Molalla, OR , October 29, 1997
Matin's research is at less than high school level acuracy
I have read this book and the Urantia book, and I can testify that
Martin did not do much in the way of acurate research. I have found
misquotes and quotes taken out of context in "GCM" that were clearly
designed to create sensationalism and support his title. (I don't have
his book here, so I can't give page numbers, but a good example is found
in his section on human races and the Urantia Book: look up the page he
supposedly quotes for yourself.) Another questionable tactic is in his
chapter on relatives of the people involved with the origins of the
Urantia Book. Why does he spend so much time discussing their antics and
beliefs? I know that MY siblings don't match me in my beliefs, and my
husband is a leader in our community and much respected, but he has two
brothers who have been involved in unsavory lifestyles: nothing like
him! So how does this kind of research get Martin reveiws that include
the words "refreshing?" I have never found untruths and slander to be
so. Another issue that I find questionable is the amount of numerology
that Martin focuses on in his book. How scientific is that, and what
does it have to do with the Urantia Book, which quite frankly debunks
this sort of study as superstitious. There is one more point that I must
make. Having read the Urantia Book for over 20 years, I have come to
know a number of U-Book readers, and our study groups. There is no way
that being involved with the Urantia Movement could be near what our
society defines as "cult." I have had to stand on my own with only my
personal relation with my Heavenly Father as guide, to try to live a way
that will help make this world a better place. The last third of the
Urantia Book is dedicated to the life and teachings of Jesus, which has
truly inspired me to live a life more like Jesus. Over the years I have
become more patient and loving as a result of the inspiration from
reading the Urantia Book. I am truly puzzled why Martin displays such a
strongly negative posture against it, almost as if he were scared of it.